Monday, January 30, 2023

San Gabriel Mountains - January 30 Snow Edition


When I got to Victory Park this morning, it was cold and overcast.  My phone said 45 degrees.  I looked to the mountains for snow.  I saw only clouds.  

But, I knew there were snowy mountain tops behind the clouds.  So, I waited.  

I stood in the middle of the park, with my mountain view framed by light poles and trees.  As the morning wore on, more and more people came to the park. Some walked dogs, One lady pushed a dog in a pink stroller.  A few parents showed up with small kids.  I saw an occasional PHS student. City workers tended the park grass.  

No one was looking toward the mountains. I waited.


The clouds didn't exactly lift and I wouldn't say the sun shown through.  Instead, the clouds just became less dense and the snowy mountain top appeared.  No alarm went off. Not really any drama or great reveal. But, beautiful nonetheless. 


And people noticed where they were. Dog walkers glanced north to the mountains.  A lady walking on the path took her phone out for a picture.  I did the same.  

Then, I heard honking.  Not the honking of a car, but that of birds.  Geese to be exact.  The birds flew right in front of me.  I tried to get a picture of the birds flying with the snowy mountain backdrop.   

Well, not exactly the picture I had in my mind.  But, I did get snow and birds in the same shot.  


No comments: