Thursday, March 17, 2022

2021 California League Tour -- Lake Elsinore Storm


    My tour resumed on July 27, at Lake Elsinore Diamond for a game between the Lake Elsinore Storm and Fresno Grizzlies.  The Storm are a minor league affiliate of the San Diego Padres. The Grizzles are affiliated with the Colorado Rockies.   

    The Diamond was built in 1994 and has a capacity of about 8,000 people.  I was there on a Tuesday evening and there wasn't much of a crowd.  So, I did not get a feel for the usual Storm experience -- some food vendors were closed and the mascots were off for the night.  The Storm mascot is named Thunder and, from the Storm website, it looks like he puts on a great show.  Sorry to miss him. 

    Still, I enjoyed a very comfortable laid back evening at the Diamond.  While I enjoyed each stop on my tour, Lake Elsinore is the one place I left saying to myself, "I have to come back here."  


    My evening started at the Diamond Taproom on the upper level along the left field line. The Taproom is a regular restaurant with inside and outside seating.  I was to the game early. So, I hit the Taproom for a beer and sandwich and found a seat overlooking the Storm bullpen. It had been a hot day presaging a warm night and the misters along the rail were a cool luxury.  The Taproom had a nice selection of beer and, for a ballpark, a good array of food.  In fact, it was so nice sitting on the rail outside the Taproom, that I stayed there for a couple of innings. 

    On my next visit to the stadium, not only will I make sure Thunder is scheduled, I'll get there early to enjoy the Taproom and rail seats.  


    When I finally went to my seat, this was the view. These were excellent seats, though the game seemed further away than the seats I had in Modesto. Still, just a great way to see the game.  
    

    This is a terrible picture, but you'll get the idea. The Diamond had great food with several local efforts given prominent space along the corridors.  On my next visit, I'll get the beer from the Taproom, but get dinner further in the stadium.

    Overall, I enjoyed my visit to Lake Elsinore Diamond.  I'd say it has an edge over the other southern Cal stadiums in Rancho Cucamonga and San Bernardino.  I will be back and, if Lake Elsinore were a little closer to Pasadena, I would be a regular.  
 

No comments: