Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cool Weather

As evening approached yesterday, it was cool and overcast. Sunlight off clouds to the east was spectacular

Seems like it has been unusually cool and overcast for most of July. The Fourth is generally blistering, but this year it reached only 80 degrees. The high for last Wednesday and Thursday was only 76 and yesterday reached up to 83 degrees.

So, I went to Accuweather to check on normal temps for this time of year. Turns out that historical averages for the first couple weeks of July are in the high 80's and on July 15 the average edges over to 90 degrees. So you know what's coming up, average temperatures stay at 90 to 91 for the rest of July, all of August and the first week of September. We generally have a few days where high hovers around 100.

I like the cool, but I think it's slowing things in the garden. Tomatoes are growing much slower than last year. It will get hotter here in all too short a time. The forecast for next week moves us into the 90's.

3 comments:

Susan Campisi said...

I'm just back from Vermont where it was sizzling and unusually hot and humid. I wasn't tuned into the news here so I didn't realize how cool it was. I love this weather but clearly it won't last. Thanks for the heads up about what's next.

Michael Coppess said...

Thanks for stopping by, Susan. Funny how the east has been super hot and we've been on the cool side.

Gina said...

I was thinking that my tomatoes are slow this year...interestingly enough my squash and blackberries seem to be loving this weather. I already have winter squash to harvest.