Saturday, March 2, 2013

In Search of the Perfect Date Shake at Sierra Madre's Mother Moo

Yesterday at Mother Moo's, I enjoyed probably the best date shake I've ever had.   That's saying alot because, as I've posted before, I've had date shakes all over southern California.   If you are a date shake fan or ever wanted to try one, then get on over to Mother Moo in Sierra Madre.

Fresh from the desert, Mother Moo has a raft of organic dates and she's offering her own take on southern California's iconic date shake.   The dates are chunky and the ice cream is different than I've had in other date shakes.  Mother Moo's date shake is based in what they call "triple milk" ice cream and it is sans the usual vanilla.   It works and what you get a creamy thick date shake with plenty of date chunks.    

Mother Moo will make this shake to your order.   So, if you want to take this experience to the next level, I recommend asking them to add cinnamon and nutmeg.   The basic shake is good, but the spices put the Mother Moo Date Shake in my Date Shake Hall of Fame.       

  . 

8 comments:

Bellis said...

You've convinced me. I'm heading over there tomorrow. I've never had a date shake in my life, and look forward to being AMAZED.

Petrea Burchard said...

Maybe. I might. But I doubt it can beat the cappuccino shake I had years ago at a little place in Hollywood. I wonder if that place is still there.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

It's my favorite desert. I usually get them at Hadleys and on rare occasion that date farm in Indio. Glad to hear one is nearby

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, yes - Hadley's is what I thought of immediately, and remembered my dad loving them whenever we stopped there on our way to Palm Springs!

You beat me to it - I was going to mention it on my blog tonight as well. I'll still do that by providing a link to your post. I haven't tried Karen's date shake yet, but I can only imagine how good it must be!

Cafe Pasadena said...

Sounds like, I hope, that date shakes are your favorite malts.
I haven't had nearly as many date shakes as you - is it really worth the cost of a meal, $8.OO?

Mrs. East of Allen said...

Cafe Pasadena, we've been fans of Mother Moo (we call it the Moo) since opening day. The price is steep if you compare the shake to a scoop of corn syrup-laden, artificially flavored stuff out of a bucket at Rite Aid. But when you account for organic milk, fresh dates picked up from a farm in Thermal, and handmade ice cream from a local artisan you understand the price. This is serious decadence, and that comes at a price! (One, I might add, that my resident date shake expert happily paid!)

Ann Erdman said...

I lived in Palm Springs for several years coming to Pasadena. The date shakes at Hadley's outside of Palm Springs were to die for! Now you're shaming me into venturing into Sierra Madre for a taste comparison!

Carla said...

I've just found your blog... my husband loves date shakes! We'll have to venture out to Sierra Madre.

We have a small group planning to go before the Pasadena City Council and ask for a change in the city code re:keeping chickens. Would you like more information on this? We're hoping that you would contact your city councilman and ask him if he would support this change?
We also have a petition signing~
http://cluckinpasadena.weebly.com/
(Sorry to hi-jack the comments, here but didn't know how to contact you otherwise.)
Thank you !
Carla Riggs
San Rafael area