Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Morning Bear

We were having breakfast this morning, sitting at the table right next to the screen door.   I had my back to the door and was enjoying some morning eggs and coffee, when our daughter says, "there's a bear."    My first thought was that she was kidding.  Her voice was a little too calm.  So, I took another bite of eggs.

My second thought was that it was strange for her to kid about a bear.  Why kid about that?  So, I turned around and looked outside.  There, on the other side of the screen door, not more than ten feet from us, was a young bear.

He roamed over to our chickens, which sent the birds scurrying inside their pen.   The bear sniffed around the chicken wire, pushed on it a bit, thankfully not hard enough to push it over.  Then he moved on.

The bear climbed our apricot tree.  It is not a very good shot, but I got a picture of him in the middle of the tree looking back at me.   There's not much fruit left on the tree. Most all of our apricots are eaten by kids doing exactly what the bear was doing -- climbing around the tree looking for ripe apricots.

After about ten minutes we watched the bear move on.

3 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

If bears must come in to back yards, let those yards be yours.

I'm thinking of that young mountain lion that had the misfortune to show up in Santa Monica the other day where people acted like idiots.

You, however, ran for your camera instead of your gun. How much finer a result you have here.

Adele said...

What an exciting morning at your house. Poor bear, though - he will have to be quicker to the tree next year.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Probably the same guy who did in your bee hives leaving disappointed