Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Summer Scenes along New York Drive

There is a short stretch of fairly wild hillside land that runs along the east side of New York Drive directly across the street from Earthlink and the Eaton Wash Reservoir.   I am often surprised at what I see there.  I've seen deer enough times that I am always on the lookout for more.  And I regularly see interesting and colorful plants and trees.  Above is a cluster of Matilija Poppies pictured above.   

 Buckwheat. 

Dodder or Witch's Hair - a colorful but destructive parasite that is draping parts of the hillside..  

Elder tree with yellow-white flowers.  There are a number of Elder trees growing wild along New York Drive.  I'll have more on Elders in my next post.  

7 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

I love this landscape. It's so western, so native. I used to watch it in Westerns.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I'm looking forward to the next post. Elderberry wine or jelly or... recipes?

Michael Coppess said...

Agree Petrea! I don't think our local natural landscape gets its due.

PA knows Elderberry? Should have guessed. I'm new to the whole Elderberry thing, but so far am partial to the cordial.

Steve Scauzillo said...

Love the flowers ...I'll have to stop there someday.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

Thats about the extent of my knowledge of Elderberry plants. But I do think the plant is kind of pretty. A volunteer is growing in the neighbors yard. Can't wait to hear more about them.

Bellis said...

They don't taste as nice as European elderberries. The soup and jam are OK, but as my granny made the soup to give us when we had a fever, I associate it with the taste of medicine. It's better if all traces of the horrid tasting green bits are removed.

Enjoyed this post very much.

David Sneiders said...

Mexican elderberry one & same? My employer is possibly putting one in as its a drought tolerant yet edible & anchors the hillsides w/ its roots. Will try to get cutting & clone as NY Dr. by Eaton Canyon is a Thursday drive by.

Look forward to your further posting on this intriguing plant.

BTW thanks again for the ENC California native grape info. Have 4 growing out on Garvanza hillside despite gophers, 4 surviving in Altadena & 2 overtaking breezeway in Temple City.