Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Spider and a Lizard Tail

I'll save the lizard tail until the end.  Some might not think it as cool as a spider. (Is this a great post or what?)

First to the spider.   I don't go looking for spiders. But, sometimes they find me -- or their webs find me to be more exact.   And, when I run into them, after picking off the web, I can't help but think they are pretty amazing little creatures.

 
One of the spiders I see around here is an orb-weaver -- meaning the spider builds a circular or wheel shaped web.  The spiders seem to hang in mid-air with no conceivable support around them.  The spider pictured above is hanging on a web secured on a tree about six feet to one side and a post about six feet to the other.
  
 It is hard to get a good picture of a spider web.  This is a pretty good one.   

Here's our spider.  She's hanging out in the middle of her web waiting for breakfast.

OK.  Now for the alligator lizard tail.  

Last night I saw the dog "playing" with an alligator lizard and went to check it out.  Now the "play" here was all from the dog's perspective.   The lizard had not chosen to play and, no doubt, did not want that instant to play.   Anyway, the lizard so did not want to play, that it dropped its tail and scampered away.   The dog, being a dog, was captivated by the flopping tail and allowed its playmate to escape.  

I reached the scene in time to take this short clip of the lizard tail wiggling around.      

I've found lizard tails and seen lizards with regenerated tails but I had not seen a newly detached tail still wiggling.  Whether due to teenage whatever or lots of experience with detached lizard tails, my 13 year old was unimpressed.   But, I thought it interesting and was glad to have my camera with me.

5 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

I think spiders are beautiful, noble creatures. I feel the same way about lizards. I can't bring myself to watch the video.

Cafe Pasadena said...

I like your nature, as well as history, posts the best. I prefer to leave spiders & their webs alone so they can do their job in catching the bad guys, like mosquito's.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

I watched the video. You and my 13 year old self sound a bit alike.

Now go check out a black widow spider, worst webs ever. Sloppy little gals

Steve Scauzillo said...

The webs are amazing works of art!

Yue said...

I hate spiders , sorry :-s