Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Election Day - Pasadena City Council District 4

East Pasadena votes today for the person who will represent us on city council the next four years.   Even in a down economy, development pressures and neighborhood protection are key issues.   One issue on the immediate horizon is reuse or development of the historic St. Luke's Hospital site (pictured above).  Other East Pasadena issues are lying in wait -- issues like the use of the empty car lots on Colorado, the vacant Hastings Theater, development near the Sierra Madre Villa metro station, and the seemingly forever stalled plans for an Eaton Wash trail.    Then there are now perennial Pasadena city issues like the budget, city employee compensation, crime, housing, and the public schools.    

Four candidates have each staked out different ground and run serious campaigns.  Based on the relative parity in candidate lawn signs, chances are no candidate will win a majority and there will be a run-off.   If there is run-off, we will hopefully see the candidates get more specific on the issues.   We'll see how it all shakes out.

4 comments:

Cafe Pasadena said...

The less things change, the more they stay the same.

Michael Coppess said...

Very well put. CP, you sure are in a contemplative mood these days.

Pasadena Adjacent said...

The future of Saint Lukes worries me. My Grandmother's cousin Sister Anne Headed the hospital back in the 50's and 60's. My father was born there and my grandmother died there; did I mention it was also the location for my nicotine anonymous meetings? Kind of feels like sacred ground. Hope Pasadena holds out for complete historic preservation (as opposed to mixed use preservation)

Michael Coppess said...

Thanks for the great comment, PA! It shouldn't surprise me, but I've heard more than a few stories of people with close connections to St. Luke's. I've even received a emails from out of state from people who find my blog and ask about the hospital. I guess the place one enters or exits this world is always of interest. Though I never visited St. Luke's when it was open, I've walked the property inside and out and agree that there is a sacred feel to the place -- even though cross is now gone.