Sunday, March 29, 2009

Gophers

About five years ago, we had alot of gopher problems. With my dad's help, I set out a number of Macabee traps and caught maybe half a dozen gophers. We haven't had problems since. Until this year that is. I've seen dirt mounds from gophers and moles. A couple of weeks ago I saw a mole being carried by the neighbor's cat. Last night, I trapped a pretty big gopher and am today enjoying a small sense of accomplishment over that. Hopefully between the cats and me we can keep the gopher and mole damage to a minimum.

I've spent this weekend and last working in the garden. We have big plans this year. I have a couple of beds already weeded, a pile of home-made compost ready to spread around and tomatoes waiting to be planted. Got to get back out and go to work!!


I've been away from the blogs for more than a month. My mom passed away on February 19 and I've not felt much like blogging. But after working in the garden today, I kind of want to get back at it. I may post more on my mom later.


3 comments:

tamara said...

First off, very sorry to hear about your Mom.
Second, I been following you, (OK, lurking), for a while. I used to live outside of LA, and know many of the places you visit.
Third, I finally got out and raked my roses (rugosa) of all the salt and sand from the road. The rest of the yard is too icy! So, BLEAH!
: )

tamara
Townsend, Mass.

PS
Glad you're back.

pasadenapio said...

Mike, I'm thinking of you during this difficult time.

Dana S. Whitney said...

Belated condolences. Losing one's mom always rocks one's equilibrium.