Saturday, September 20, 2008

Garden Update

We gardened this year like we never have before. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and cucumbers were probably the best producers. But, experiments with cantalopes and corn were fun too. The whole family got into the act -- from preparing the soil last winter to pulling the weeds to picking the vegetables. And its kind of fun toward the evening to say "let's go out and pick some tomatoes and basil for dinner."

It sure seems to me like more and more people are growing their own vegetables. Marcia found a group of local gardeners who swap their extra produce and we've been able to trade for grapefruit and other fruits we don't grow. The group was profiled in an LA Times piece last week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MC, so how is the taste compared to "professionally" grown produce at the local SUPERmarket?

I appreciate your log of gardening adventures.

Michael Coppess said...

Thanks for the comment! To me, no comparison between the taste of home grown versus the picked early, shipped in produce at the supermarket. In particular, I think about our peaches and apricots. They are just great - like honey. You can't get that at the supermarket.

Todd said...

Urban-denial Pasadena needs a community garden for us apartment-dwellers. Maybe somewhere on them Edison tracts out your way ...

Sarah Jane said...

This makes me happy and sad. I started a garden this year from organic seeds at our home in San Gabriel. Then we got foreclosed on and I got too depressed to care about my garden that I was going to lose anyways. Good job on yours. I hope to start one again next year.